Scotts Valley and Santa Cruz, CA
The ill effects of mouth breathing also include :
- Increased cavities and gum disease – a dry mouth creates the perfect breeding ground for the bacteria that cause dental disease.
- Increased severity in snoring and obstructive sleep apnea
- Bad breath
Nasal breathing, however, offers the following benefits:
- Filters the air: it takes your body 15 minutes to clear the bacteria you breathe in through your nose. It takes up to 120 days to clear the same bacteria if breathed in through the mouth.
- Warms and humidifies the air: the air that enters your nose will reach body temperature by the time it hits the lungs.
- Better athletic performance: nose breathing during exercise can improve the blood’s oxygen-carrying capacity, similar to training at high altitude.
Breaking the over-breathing cycle isn’t hard, but it does take some practice. And much like starting a healthy diet, you can experience a “detox” effect once you start. The Buteyko Breathing Method developed by the late physician, Dr. Konstantin Buteyko, over 50 years ago, is one of the most proven ways to re-establish nasal breathing and get your mouth – and body – back on track towards optimal health. For more information, or to schedule a consultation with our Buteyko Breathing therapist, Jeanne Shimizu, call us at 831-438-4411.